Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How Does God Answer Prayers?

How Does God Answer Prayers
Current mood: contemplative
Category: Religion and Philosophy

In my opinion, we ourselves BECOME the answer to our prayers. Praying can be like askig for a handout sometimes. Such handout charity can be weakening rather than empowering. We can become needy and dependent, and look for another handout.

Charity can weaken us, but becoming charitable can empower us.

Here is an example. Suppose I feel lonely. I pray for a friend, for companionship, but no one comes. My prayer is not answered.

But, suppose I actively seek out someone who is lonely and in need of a friend. Suppose I become that friend. Well, then, perhaps I have answered someone else's prayer.

I have much power to change myself. I have little power to change others.

We who live in a free modern society have much already. We have good educations. We have clean drinking water. We have access to medical care.

What do natives pray for in a rain forest? I don't know. Does anyone? Perhaps they do not pray. Perhaps they hunt each day for the food they require.

Is it not possible, conceivable that someone might have everything, and still be unhappy, like an Elvis or a Marilyn Monroe or a Curt Cobain?

No comments: