Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clipperz password storage and retrieval

I have been using clipperz.com for a few weeks now as well as 4mypasswords.com

clipperz.com offers you the ability to RANDOMLY generate a long strong password, one that you could never possibly remember, and barely write down, since it contains all sorts of random signs as well as numbers and upper/lower case letters.

clipperz.com does have a gmail support forum that one may join to post questions, and see what users around the world are saying.

I have reached the point with these sorts of passwords services that I trust them.

Now, I must reach the point where I trust clipperz to generate a password that I could never remember, and then depend upon clipperz each time I want to log into the password protected site.

To acquire this trust (faith) I will start with some website logins that I can AFFORD to lose.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/community/forums/

This is a very interesting dictionary site which emails a daily new word of interest together with some history, etymology and examples of use.

I added the website link, and my user name to clipperz.com
THEN I asked clipperz to generate a random strong password and store it for me.

NEXT, I log into my profile at yourdictionary.com and CHANGE my current simple password to that new strong clipperz password.

I will get used to launching clipperz.com and logging into yourdictionary.com forums, copying and pasting my strong password from clipperz.

Periodically I will CHANGE that password to a NEW randomly generated clipperz password.

IF I can go for some months without losing my access to the test site, then I will trust clipperz.com for more crucial accounts and password generation.

Ah, but, you will say, suppose, just suppose that clipperz.com site is DOWN for a period of time for some reason, OR suppose I should lose my internet connection, but need a password.

Well, clipperz.com allows me to generate a STAND ALONE executable version which I may store on a memory stick or some other storage device, and run at any time, to retrieve my password information without need for internet access. AND clipperz allows one to EXPORT the password database to an encrypted form of export file, so that it may be IMPORTED into a different clipperz account.

I have not tested all these features, but I shall as time goes by.

Password services such as this DO NOT store your user name and password, which are used to encrypt and decrypt your passwords, so IF YOU FORGET your clipperz password or user name, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THEY CAN RETRIEVE YOUR INFORMATION, and they DO NOT store your email address, so you remain anonymous, if you so desire.

One depressing but clever use for these services is to store all your bank account passwords, and provide the user name and password in your WILL so that your heir or heirs will be able to access such accounts after your demise.

1 comment:

Marco Barulli said...

Thanks for your kind review of Clipperz!

A new release is due pretty soon. It will offer search, tags, ...

Marco
Clipperz co-founder