Thursday, June 11, 2009

Shopping for a Buddha Statue

I used to work at a job which required a commute on the N train, which passes through Chinatown. One night, the train service was interrupted, and I decided to walk around Chinatown to pass the time. I wandered into a shop which had many Buddha statues. A very devout Chinese Buddhist woman, a visitor from Ohio, approached me with great excitement. She was staying at famous Pureland Temple. I had read a book by the abbot there, Master Lok, entitled "Horizontal Escape." I learned she was shopping for a Buddha statue, but had very little money. I took her to dinner at a restaurant across the street, and then invited her home to meet my wife. I had two rather expensive metal Buddha statues at home and planned to surprise her by telling her to choose one for herself. She was surprised and chose the larger of the two. I was caretaker of the Guyanese temple across the street, and opened it for her to see. She said to me, "Now we shall worship YOUR Deities." Buddhists can be very open-minded.

No comments: